Monday, February 6, 2012

Interview Questions

I would like to interview students in BIOL 221, Anatomy & Physiololgy II. I am interested to see if they can transfer anything from the Endocrine chapter to the Reproduction chapter. I also am interested to see how they think birth control works prior to having it taught to them later on this semester.

My questions:

How does oral contraceptives keep you from getting pregnant?
- What hormones are involved?
- What do they do?
- How do you know this?

3 comments:

  1. I like this type of questions. You are testing to see if the student can transfer knowledge from one area to another. Also, you are seeing if there are any misconceptions. It would be interesting to do another interview after the information has been taught.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,

    When I was writing my questions, the idea of transfer across disciplines completely escaped me! We always talk about how important it is, and I appreciate you bringing that to my attention. You might want to ask the student to rate their confidence in their answers after they give them. This might be a way to get at what they actually feel/think they understand and what they actually understand. Overall, I like the way your questions are open-ended and how they can elicit misconceptions. Are you planning on interviewing a male or a female? Would that make a difference in the amount of understanding you would expect to see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you are trying using a situation where transfer is being asked and using it to probe conceptual understanding. I would like to see one more "open-ended" one as a back-up question. Perhaps go look at my comments on Margot's blog -- she is interested in reproduction.

    ReplyDelete